Typical. You start to despair of a lack of decent funky tunes and then loads come along at once. Here, Leipzig’s Sunsetsoul label continue a near flawless run of releases with the SunsetSplit EP, a four-tracker of ridiculous mash-ups. Funktomas splices Fontella Bass’s Motown classic Rescue Me together with the vocal remix of The Gravediggaz’ 1-800 Suicide boosting the bpms of this stoned early-nineties head-nodder way over the hundred mark and lyrically creating the musical equivalent of a bizarrely upbeat call to The Samaritans. Prosper & Badboe sort out a fuel-injected rinsing of 25 Miles that gets Edwin Starr all jiggy with Lil Mama and Shantisan does the crazy drum n bossa thing again on Aquela E Minha Menina by lighting a junglist fire under the asses of Os Mutantes. Then – just as you tire of muscular breaks – along comes Manjah with a chilled breakbeat dub rerub of The Supremes in My Dub Is Empty Without You. How’s that for a slice of fried gold?
Soon come – on Frequento Sunsetsoul
Listen to Sunsetsoul – The Sunsplit EP
Frequento Sunsetsoul – Myspace
1. (NEW) Ugly Duckling – Einstein Do It (Night On Scratch Mountain) (Audacity LP) – Fat Beats
DJ Einstein on the cut y’all! Massive.
2. (NEW) Shantisan – Bring The Bossa Back (Resense 008 EP) – Resense
Drum n Bossa? Latin vocal? Party!
3. (NEW) Q Tip – Won’t Trade (The Renaissance LP) – Motown
Motown sampling bomb. Shoulda had more like this on the LP.
4. (NEW) K Delight (feat. Koaste) – Teenagers From Outer Space (Audio Revolution LP) – Playing Around
Swirling tech-hop banger and the best lyrics all year from Koaste.
5. (1) Andy Taylor (feat. Louisa Rox) – Pray (Unreleased)
Ridiculously euphoric funky anthem.
6. (3) The Bamboos – Tears Cried (Side Stepper LP) – Tru Thoughts
More funky sister soul action from Melbourne’s finest
7. (NEW) The New Mastersounds – Hole In The Bag (Plug & Play LP) – Etage Noir
A fat nugget of organs, wah-wah and clattering drums.
8. (NEW) Da Wiesel – Raw Rapture (Resense 008 EP) – Resense
Female vocal breaks-track, cutting up Sly Stone, and the Mohawks
9. (NEW) The Bas Lexter Ensample – Bas Lexter’s Rock (Resense 008 EP) – Resense
Uptempo brass-driven breaks.
10. (NEW) T Bird & The Breaks – Juice (Learn About It LP) (Unreleased)
Funky-ass soul so raw it’s still bleeding.
The Austrians have given the world many things – Hitler, Arnold Schwarznegger and Falco being three of them – but hey – they’re making up for it now. This EP was listed as ‘Broken Beat/ Nu Jazz’ on one of my sources so I nearly missed out on this massive collection of funky mashed-up breaks about which there is nothing ‘broken’ and even less, ‘jazzy’. Sono Rhizmo’s opener So Ma Guisee is a so-so latin-skank that I found myself roundly ignoring in favour of The Bas Lexter Ensample’s no-nonsense uptempo brass-driven breakbeats on Bas Lexter’s Rock, Da Wiesel’s Mohawks, Meters and Sly Stone sampling Raw Rapture and Shantisan’s dnb-speed bossa nova latin-vocal Bring Back The Bossa Rock. It’s the sort of thing that keeps the Bombs and Nice Up crews on their toes. Rewind!
Out now on Resense Austrian.
Listen to Resense EP 008
The Bas Lexter Ensample – Myspace
Frequento Sunsetsoul (home of Da Wiesel) – Myspace
Shantisan – Myspace